Assessment & Registration
To be registered with Better Start your child eligibility needs to be assessed and confirmed by the Registration and Information Service.
This assessment can be face-to-face, via telephone, webcam, email or a video link. At this assessment the child's parent or carer will need to show the following documents to the Registration and Information Adviser:
- Proof of the child’s age, preferably their birth certificate or passport
- Written confirmation of diagnosis (noting the necessary thresholds)
- Proof of residential status (if applicable)
- Proof of residential address (where applicable, to ensure outer-regional and remote access payment – this could be a recent bill or similar)
- The child’s Centrelink-generated customer reference number (CRN). You can obtain a CRN by attending your nearest Centrelink Customer Service Centre or by phoning Centrelink on 136 150.
For prescribed disabilities under Better Start and their thresholds see Can I get Better Start?
Your eligibility assessment will be assessed and if confirmed, your child will be registered for Better Start as soon as possible.
More information on registration can be found via the Better Start Registration and Information Pack